[mythtv-users] Bolstering a system for Watch TV

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Nov 15 19:51:12 UTC 2013

>> > This is a completely alien concept to me.
>> >
>> > I'm either watching TV or not watching TV.  I've never understood the
>> > desire to have something on "in the background".
>> >
>> > As far as I'm concerned, LiveTV could easily be re-labeled "Tuner Testing".
>> >
>> > Eric
>>

>> It's a good thing it's not your decision :)
>>
>> It's really cool how whenever somebody has a question about LiveTV, the
>> "you're using it wrong" crowd comes out.
>
>     Yeah. I think that crowd goes by another name... "the developers".
>
>     White noise? Just play any random thing. It doesn't have to be something
> being broadcast live. LiveTV is hardly a requirement here. Even Netflix has
> a suitable operational mode for this kind of situation.

One could argue that "the developers" have nearly eliminated the
differences between live tv and watching a recording in progress.
Live TV no longer uses a unique methodology for recording... it simply
uses slightly more complex scheduling and managment rules.

There is really very little difference anymore between scheduling a
recording and starting to watch it immediately after it starts, and
turning on live tv.  Where LiveTV has the edge is that it will
continue to record across program boundaries without any further
intervention.

Years ago, live tv was practically a completely different application
with it's own methods of doing everything, from ringbuffers to the
ability of streaming directly from the tuner (no recording/buffering
at all).  I suspect that as time goes on, the two functions will come
closer together, to the point where there is virtually no difference
other than automated scheduling and sequential playback when watching
live tv.