[mythtv-users] Bolstering a system for Watch TV

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 21:36:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:25:51PM -0500, Phil Bridges wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
> wrote:

> > > This is a completely alien concept to me.
> > >
> > > I'm either watching TV or not watching TV.  I've never understood the
> > > desire to have something on "in the background".
> > >
> > > As far as I'm concerned, LiveTV could easily be re-labeled "Tuner
> Testing".
> > >
> > > Eric
> >

> > It's a good thing it's not your decision :)
> >
> > It's really cool how whenever somebody has a question about LiveTV, the
> > "you're using it wrong" crowd comes out.
>
>     Yeah. I think that crowd goes by another name... "the developers".

Sure, many of them don't use it regularly... there's also several
developers who value live TV, and have put many hours in to it to make it a
very usable feature over the last several releases.  In fact, several new
Live TV enhancements have already been commit to master and some of them
even backported to 0.27.  The code for Live TV is quite complex - if they
didn't think it was worth it, it would have been ripped out years ago so
they could focus exclusively on other stuff.

In fact, a few key developers think it's silly every time this "debate"
comes up and use it themselves - as do I.  No one is forcing you to use
live tv, ever.  I don't know why this always turns in to something
reminiscent of a political or religious debate.

People who use TV aren't "using it wrong" - they're just "using it".  Yes,
that may be different than the way you use it, but what good does it do to
ridicule?  What's next, people who make phone calls on smart phones are
"doing it wrong" because they should only use Text Messaging or Email so
they always "time-shit" their conversations? :P