[mythtv-users] hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 03:11:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
> We should be emailing Hauppauge support and telling them that we are
> returning their product because it doesn't have linux support.
>
> Best case they write a linux driver (I can dream), worst case someone has to
> write it themselves but perhaps they can co-operate by providing specs etc.
> Heh, I suppose that's not really the worst case but you get the point.

I believe you already have worst case.  You want it, it does
not work, no one who has the knowledge to do something
has current interest/priorities to invest their time in it.  As
I recall, the HD-PVR2 uses a different chipset (the Magnum
encoder chip) than the HD-PVR (which used the Ambarella
chip), along with other pipeline chip differences.  Last I
looked around, the detailed specs on the chip was not
available (except, presumably under NDA), so someone
would have to also negotiate with the vendor for access.
Or invest the kind of effort that the nouveau devs did by
watching every transaction between the card and the
host.  That is a lot of engineering resources.

Hauppauge has never officially cared about Linux support
(The rumor I remember was the HD-PVR support was
allowed to happen, on the devs own efforts, rather than
sanctioned and supported).  The market (small) likely
does not justify the continued investment in resources.

Gary