[mythtv-users] Question on channel record removal

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 15:41:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/2013 04:43 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:

>>> Close. At run-time, you have the option of using: --nologserver on the
>>> command line. Or, at build-time you (or your packager) can use:
>>> --disable-mythlogserver (in which case you don't need to use:
>>> --nologserver.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill
>>

>> Thanks!  Yea, that's what I was just starting to figure out from the
>> wiki page on logging.  The mythlogserver wiki page is a little
>> confusing on all that, as it implies that without mythlogserver
>> logging goes to the console.
>>

> It does seem confusing and I had to see who added the Wiki text.
> Unfortunately, it was me. I always build with --disable-logserver
> and haven't used the --nologserver option.
>
> So, I must have added the comment based on a discussion here or on IRC.
> But, checking with:
>
>     mythbackend --help nologserver
>     mythbackend version: master [v0.28-pre-583-ga86e018] www.mythtv.org
>     Option:      --nologserver
>
>     Type:        bool
>     Default:     false
>
> Console logging is exactly what it does. In that case, it doesn't match
> what you're used to in 0.25. If you want that, then you have to get a
> distribution that was built with --disable-logserver or build it yourself.
>

> --
> Bill

I've run into an issue when building with --disable-mythlogserver.  I
sent a separate email to the list on this with no replies as yet.  I
figured that since you build with that option you may know something
about this one:

With that option enabled the logs are all getting written as I
expected (logging as with 0.25.3), but my logrotation isn't working
correctly.  After a weekly rotation I found my mythbackend process
actively logging to a file that had been rotated to the "old"
directory (/var/log/mythtv/old/mythbackend.20131213163424.1223.log.1).
 As far as I can tell looking briefly at the code I don't think
there's even any SIGHUP logic to re-open log files outside of
mythlogserver.  I'm I correct on that, and if so, it there any way in
0.27 with --disable-mythlogserver. to handle log rotation in any
manner similar to that used with 0.25.3?

Thanks
Tom