[mythtv-users] Question on channel record removal

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 16:19:09 UTC 2013

On 12/26/2013 09:41 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks!  Yea, that's what I was just starting to figure out from the
>>> wiki page on logging.  The mythlogserver wiki page is a little
>>> confusing on all that, as it implies that without mythlogserver
>>> logging goes to the console.
>>>

>> It does seem confusing and I had to see who added the Wiki text.
>> Unfortunately, it was me. I always build with --disable-logserver
>> and haven't used the --nologserver option.
>>
>> So, I must have added the comment based on a discussion here or on IRC.
>> But, checking with:
>>
>>      mythbackend --help nologserver
>>      mythbackend version: master [v0.28-pre-583-ga86e018] www.mythtv.org
>>      Option:      --nologserver
>>
>>      Type:        bool
>>      Default:     false
>>
>> Console logging is exactly what it does. In that case, it doesn't match
>> what you're used to in 0.25. If you want that, then you have to get a
>> distribution that was built with --disable-logserver or build it yourself.
>>

>> --
>> Bill
>
> I've run into an issue when building with --disable-mythlogserver.  I
> sent a separate email to the list on this with no replies as yet.  I
> figured that since you build with that option you may know something
> about this one:
>
> With that option enabled the logs are all getting written as I
> expected (logging as with 0.25.3), but my logrotation isn't working
> correctly.  After a weekly rotation I found my mythbackend process
> actively logging to a file that had been rotated to the "old"
> directory (/var/log/mythtv/old/mythbackend.20131213163424.1223.log.1).
>   As far as I can tell looking briefly at the code I don't think
> there's even any SIGHUP logic to re-open log files outside of
> mythlogserver.  I'm I correct on that, and if so, it there any way in
> 0.27 with --disable-mythlogserver. to handle log rotation in any
> manner similar to that used with 0.25.3?

Hi;

I saw your post, but I suspect you run your backend as a 'real' server,
where I use the shutdown/wakeup method.

I do prefer the --logpath option and do use logrotate to manage the
files. However, I have a cron job that moves the per-session logs into
mythVariousProgramName.log files.

This is the part where someone says there's an easier way, but here are
the crontab/script, it really doesn't need to be hourly, I just set
it up when --logpath was introduced and never changed it:

     http://pastebin.com/ShZztrLw
     http://pastebin.com/6yPdKx4U

I does have the benefit of making zgreps for old log entries easy.

--
Bill