[mythtv-users] was add season and episode number to parameters for mythlink.pl

Alex Van Deusen alex.vandeusen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:38:42 UTC 2012

On 9/24/2012 17:47, Jeremy Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton [at] gmail <mailto:richard.e.morton [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think the OP is asking for season and episode number to be added
> to the filename pattern with mythlink rather than being added to
> meta-data. i.e. using the meta-data to construct the filename and
> make the information browsable/sortable in non-myth applications.

> I wasn't aware mythTV wrote metadata to recordings. If it doesn't, and
> this metadata does exist, then wouldn't it be simpler to modify the
> program that is creating the metadata to make the symbolic links?

The metadata already exists in the database. Mythlink accesses that
metadata from the database, and uses it in combination with a formatting
string to produce a filename to symlink back to the recording. Something
like...

--link '/share/recordings (by date)' --format '%Y-%m-%d/%T - %S'

would produce a symlink such as...

/share/recordings (by date)/2012-09-18/Go On - There's No "Ryan" in
Team.mpg

The OP is looking for someone to add additional formatting tags that
would be replaced by the season and episode numbers

Raymond is correct.   I have a samsung smart tv and it has an app for Plex
right on the TV.  Thus no requirement to run a frontend anymore.   I am a
longtime mythtv user and I do understand the tradeoffs you make when you
dont run native mythtvfrontend but its just too compelling not to have to
have another box attached to the tv.    If someone wrote a mythtv frontend
for Samsung (Android) I would happily use Mythtv frontend app but sadly
none exists.  So   my goal is to have Plex client be able to better handle
mythtv backend recordings.    There is a program called Mythical Librarian
(hacked together script) that does this but its way overly complex.  I
think I read a post where someone was using Mythical Librarian (might even
be your Raymond) to do this very thing.

You can use mythlink.pl to do this but as Raymond shows its not optimal as
it leaves out the Season and Episode numbers.   If the developer  ( I
believe its Chris Peterson ) could add those additional tags that would be
super.

What would be even better if somehow you could configure myth in storage
groups to store the recordings in the naming convention you as a user would
like.  Than I could have the metadata lookup done in Myth and than just
point Plex at my NAS and everything would work nicely together.   I realize
that none of the developers probably use a setup like this so there is
little interest in developing this but I am sure I am not the only user who
is interested in something like this.