[mythtv-users] OT: Acer Aspire Revo Custom Power Button

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 10:58:45 UTC 2012

On 20/09/12 21:46, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:
>> On 12-09-20 03:48 PM, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>>> And eh as a frontend on a USB stick, don't
>>> really care about shutting down gracefully TBH.
>>
>> USB stick vs. spinning hard drive has no difference in whether you need
>> to shut down or can just pull the plug.  If you need to shutdown
>> gracefully on a spinning hard disk because of your choice of filesystem
>> (features) or otherwise, you have the same concerns with a USB stick
>> also (assuming the same filesystem and features).  There's nothing magic
>> about USB sticks.
>>
>> OK still not a concern for me.  Worded it incorrectly.  I was pointing out
> USB stick, meaning I have an image for my frontends that if something
> happens to the OS (hasn't happened in 7 years) that I can just copy image
> to new/old stick and be back up and running in minutes.  And all my
> frontends are never shutdown gracefully.

That's still no reason for not shutting down a front end properly. One of the
main reasons you might want to do that is to *tell the backend that the front
end is no longer running*. The back end holds data related to the frontends that
are connected to it, and these will be released at a proper power-down of the
front end.

You might find, if you don't do that, that certain resources aren't available
the next time you use that front end, since the back end considers them to be
already/still in use.

There is information written to the database by the backend at frontend shutdown
which will be missed if you just chop it. Playlists in mythmusic is one recent
example mentioned of such data.

--

Mike Perkins