[mythtv-users] OT: Acer Aspire Revo Custom Power Button

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 21 04:12:37 UTC 2012

On 12-09-20 11:41 PM, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

> Seeing spinning disks die after being improperly shutdown

Citation please.  In all of my experience (and my day job is with HPC
storage systems, literally chock full of spinning disks) spinning disks
do not have a "shutdown" operation that causes them to die if it is ignored.

> (or maybe
> coincidence)

Spinning disks die, yes.  Anything mechanical with moving parts will
die, eventually.  Flash storage devices die too though.

> after running for a couple years, happening more then once.

Simply wearing out.  Not dying because you didn't activate their "shut
down".

> Strawman or not, any machine like a frontend, just used to turn on/off
> quickly when needed, not worrying about what's on that actual machine, I
> use sticks.

That's fine.  Just don't throw up USB sticks as some panacea to being
able to shut down a system without flushing it's dirty cache.  [Not]
shutting down a USB stick based system is absolutely no different than
[not] shutting down a spinning disk system.  They both suffer from the
risks of not flushing the dirty cache.

> Personal preference, strawman, w/e.  Call it removing more
> moving parts from the equation. Or call it w/e.

Flash still wears out, so it's not like it's terribly better than a
spinning disk even.  It's quieter, can be more power efficient, yes.

> And TBH would this conversation be going on if I had removed the USB stick
> part and just said "I don't care about shutting down gracefully."

Not at all, because you wouldn't have thrown up your strawman about how
you can feel safer just pulling the plug because you use USB sticks,
such as you did.  Given that this whole conversation is about your USB
stick strawman of course if you hadn't mentioned it, we wouldn't be
having this conversation.

> In my
> mind it's because it's a stick.

Thatt's fine if it makes you feel better (as false that that feeling
would be).  Please just don't go giving others a false sense of security
in doing that.

> Wrong/right, personal experience that
> could be coincidence.  Eh.  Does it really matter?

It does matter to the uninformed person that might be mis-interpreting
your (factually incorrect) personal feelings for fact.

> Enjoy your evening/morning/afternoon wherever you may be.

You too.

Cheers,
b.