[mythtv-users] OT: Acer Aspire Revo Custom Power Button

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:16:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On 20/09/12 21:46, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Brian J. Murrell
>> <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

>>> USB stick vs. spinning hard drive has no difference in whether you need
>>> to shut down or can just pull the plug.  If you need to shutdown
>>> gracefully on a spinning hard disk because of your choice of filesystem
>>> (features) or otherwise, you have the same concerns with a USB stick
>>> also (assuming the same filesystem and features).  There's nothing magic
>>> about USB sticks.
>>>
>>> OK still not a concern for me.  Worded it incorrectly.  I was pointing
>>> out
>>
>> USB stick, meaning I have an image for my frontends that if something
>> happens to the OS (hasn't happened in 7 years) that I can just copy image
>> to new/old stick and be back up and running in minutes.  And all my
>> frontends are never shutdown gracefully.
>>
> That's still no reason for not shutting down a front end properly. One of
> the main reasons you might want to do that is to *tell the backend that the
> front end is no longer running*. The back end holds data related to the
> frontends that are connected to it, and these will be released at a proper
> power-down of the front end.
>
> You might find, if you don't do that, that certain resources aren't
> available the next time you use that front end, since the back end considers
> them to be already/still in use.
>
> There is information written to the database by the backend at frontend
> shutdown which will be missed if you just chop it. Playlists in mythmusic is
> one recent example mentioned of such data.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

MacNean:

I guess the confusion started when you initially said you  wanted to
"power down with unplugged".  All machines will turn off if you
disconnect the mains, but "power down", I think, suggests that you
were looking for a graceful close to the file system.  If you are
happy with just removing power and leaving the file system in whatever
state it was in, have a good time (though, as was pointed out above,
your backend may not be happy).

FYI, my Revo has the bios option of "Bios|Power Management|Restore on
AC Power Loss" to "on".

George