[mythtv-users] ATSC Unwatchable

Scot Kreienkamp skreien at wcnet.org
Fri Sep 14 13:38:24 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Michael T. Dean
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:24 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] ATSC Unwatchable

On 09/13/2012 10:53 PM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> Don't get discouraged by people that seem hostile.  They may be real
> jerks, or be really nice and having a bad day, or just come off badly via
email.

And they may be one of the people who spends a great deal of their time
writing and debugging drivers for capture cards (and possibly other
hardware) as well as supporting users of those capture cards, and they may
have already wasted a huge amount of time before the three posts in this
thread trying to debug issues for other users that ended up being caused by
running with the same unsupported configuration, so that the addition of
this smaller amount of time to the already-expended time is truly a colossal
amount of time.

Besides, how can any of us know how much time Devin spent looking at
archives of information and code to prepare responses before each of those 3
posts?  It's possible he spent hours of his time doing thorough research in
an attempt to provide quality support at no cost to you (in spite of having
no responsibility to provide any support at all).  I can guarantee that some
of the people spend a /lot/ of time preparing responses to posts/providing
support on this list (and others related to MythTV or software/drivers used
by MythTV).

All of that may very well be true.  My only point was that nobody should
have that kind of attitude towards someone for something they didn't know.
We all had a steep learning curve sometime in our lives where we asked
questions that experts thought were dumb and a waste of their time.  To
their credit, as well as many people on this list who try to help others
(Devin included), that frustration rarely shows and they continue to try and
help.  I for one thank everyone for that.