[mythtv-users] ATSC Unwatchable

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Sep 14 13:55:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Besides, how can any of us know how much time Devin spent looking at
> archives of information and code to prepare responses before each of those 3
> posts?  It's possible he spent hours of his time doing thorough research in
> an attempt to provide quality support at no cost to you (in spite of having
> no responsibility to provide any support at all).  I can guarantee that some
> of the people spend a /lot/ of time preparing responses to posts/providing
> support on this list (and others related to MythTV or software/drivers used
> by MythTV).

While I appreciate Michael coming to my defense, in this case I was
just being a jerk.  Keith, I'm sorry.  I only put 15-20 minutes into
this issue (reading it, looking at the driver code, preparing
that using virtualization with a PCI based tuner would cause problems.

All that said, if somebody wants to put  BIG RED HUGE F**KING SIGN on
the installation wiki warning people about trying to virtualize their
backend using anything other than an HDHomeRun, then I would certainly
have no objection.  :-)

I know there are people that love virtualization, think it's the best
thing since sliced bread, and have virtualized their particular MythTV
environment with reasonable success (in fact, I have literally
hundreds of VMs that I use for non-MythTV related things).  That said,
a word of caution in the docs to new users that doing such may cause
problems doesn't seem unreasonable (and don't come crying to us kernel
developers for support without mentioning that's what you're doing).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com