[mythtv-users] Comcast Cisco RNG150 and IR Blaster

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:26:21 UTC 2012

On 03/18/2012 01:16 PM, Captain Krypto wrote:
> I recently subscribed to Comcast as my cable provider and was issued a
> Cisco RNG 150 as my STB. I was happy to learn that I could stream video
> through the firewire port, but was quickly disappointed to find out that
> the channel change functionality was broken with the Xfinity update.
>
> I set out to use the IR Blaster on my HVR1600 using lirc_zilog. I was
> able to get the ir blaster functional and sending ir signals using
> irsend. I tried to figure out which codeset to use with the
> send_power_new script from
> http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24. It doesn't appear that
> any of the codes were compatible with the RNG150 and the other
> lircd.conf files for the RNG150 I found resulted in a "lirc_zilog:
> failed to get data for code" error.
>
> Has anyone been successful in getting an ir blaster to work with the
> RNG150?  With an HVR1600?  What lircd.conf do you use?
>
> Any info or insight would be much appreciated as my mythtv functionality
> is severely limited without the ability to change channels.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave

I use two PVR 150's IR Blasters to send to two different Comcast STB
using lirc_zilog.  Even though the make/model of my boxes are different
between the two, they still use the same remote control codes.
Something to keep in mind, for one of my set top boxes, the ir blaster
has to be in the *exact* right spot.  If it is off so much as 2
millimeters, it won't read the blaster.

Assuming that will be the case for you, this is what I have in my
/etc/lircd/lircd.conf file:

begin remote

   name          blaster
   bits          32