[mythtv-users] Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:56:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>>
>> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
>> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
>>
>> In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
>> ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
>> experiences.  Thanks.
>
> No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
> in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
> http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html
>
> You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
> people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
> a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
> half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
> woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
> limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
> decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".
>
> bah, I am happy with my ion revos, although the ion2 is certainly
> better than ion [1], and having played with some side by side full
> frame 3d rips (ie 3840x1080) I see the point of the cpu power to back
> up stuff vdpau won't do, but it may also be to do with what my 3d tv
> will accept :)

I have a Gen 1 ION system from Zotac with a Atom 330 and on my 27" tv
in my bedroom with temporal 2x it works great and is plenty fast on
the interface. The fan is a little noisy but I've read it can be
replaced with a quieter one, hasn't bothered me that much yet though.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!