[mythtv-users] Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 12 15:06:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:56:47AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
> >>
> >> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
> >> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
> >>
> >> In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
> >> ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
> >> experiences.  Thanks.
> >
> > No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
> > in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
> > http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html
> >
> > You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
> > people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
> > a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
> > half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
> > woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
> > limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
> > decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".

    I could certainly see the IONs having trouble with certain sorts of
web based content that are either poorly supported on Linux or have
embedded commercials. Those two issues make the problem effectively moot
for me.

     A low profile machine with better nv GPUs in them are interesting
regardless of the CPU. My snappiest frontend machine is one that would
otherwise be discarded if not for it's aftermarket nv430.