[mythtv-users] Zotac ID80 w/ Nvidia GT 520M

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 07:20:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, jk90090 <jk90090 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBOX-ID80-Plus-Mini-PC-Review/
>
> Looks very interesting, but I see the 520 (not specifically the 520M)
> can't handle Advanced 2x in HD.
>
> In case someone has tested this video chip, or in the future the Zbox
> ID80, it would be great to reply to this thread with feedback on their
> experiences.  Thanks.

No experience (in fact zotac computers don't even seem to be marketed
in NZ) but there is some info on the video chipset here
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520M.43104.0.html

You run the risk of having started another thread where half the
people say "nvidia saved my life with vdpau, I love it, I hardly need
a decent cpu now I have vdpau" and the other half say "nvidia is only
half the solution, pair it with atom and you get what you pay for, and
woebetide you if you want to do anything other than watch nvidia's
limited range of codecs/frame sizes/whatever. Get a motherboard with a
decent cpu and a slot for an nvidia card".

bah, I am happy with my ion revos, although the ion2 is certainly
better than ion [1], and having played with some side by side full
frame 3d rips (ie 3840x1080) I see the point of the cpu power to back
up stuff vdpau won't do, but it may also be to do with what my 3d tv
will accept :)