[mythtv-users] Something has gone wrong with my frontend/recordings

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Tue Jul 10 22:42:52 UTC 2012

Suddenly yesterday my mythtv-backend system starting behaving strange.
I am running mythtv  0.25 with fixes from the mythubuntu repository.  I
can't tie this change with any update from the repository

1) Connect with myth-frontend (from another machine) hangs when trying
to connect to anything to do with the backend.  If I try to contact the
recordings it even slows the fron tend down so it almost does't respond
to keys (it takes at least 10 seconds to respond to each key).  Watch TV
respons with "All Tuners Busy". I can't exit the program without forcing
it to be killed by the window manager.

2) Mythweb can't display even the TV listings. It seems to be slowly
coming up with the contents of the next channel every 30 seconds or so

At the top of the screen I get the following - it think for each channel
as it is displayed

*User Notice* at /usr/share/mythtv/bindings/php/MythBackend.php, line 105:
!!NoTrans: Unexpected response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION '72': !!

Although I had been trying to restart the front end (using the Ununtu
"service myth-backend restart" command I discovered that the main
process was not dying.

--------------

A bit later ...

I have now killed the main backend process - needed a SIGKILL to kill it
- and restarted and I seem to have everything back working. It seems to
be related to the HD recordings that I was making at the time it went
wrong yesterday.   Each one is precisely 376B long

This was the first time I tried multiple HD recordings using the
Pinnacle 290e USB stick.  This is connected to the PC via a USB 2.0 Hub
(I wanted to make sure it had enough power).

I don't suspect that the number of records with that has any effect
since, if I understand things correctly, we are just pulling the
multiple channels from a single stream.

The issue could be trying to write the multiple HD channels to the disk
at the same time.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk