[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:49:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> 2012/1/31 John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com>
>
>> So, now I've started looking around for a possible replacement.  My
>> question is
>> do I get another LCD TV, or are the LCD monitors that are out there now
>> as good
>> or better for what I need?
>>

> A couple of months ago I also needed a new TV/monitor for my bedroom. In
> the end I got a 22" Samsung LED TV, rather than a monitor. There were a
> couple of reasons for this in my case:
> - Integrated speakers (if you're going for a monitor, make sure it has
> speakers - many doesn't)
> - VESA mounting interface (to mount and hide the MythTV frontend on the
> back of the screen - a Zotac ID41 - many monitors doesn't have a VESA
> mounting interface)
> - Possibility of configuring the vertical viewing angle. If you're
> watching the TV/monitor from a low angle, the picture will often be black
> in some areas. On the Samsung TV I got, it was possible to adjust the
> picture according to the vertical viewing angle.
> - Native 1920x1080 resolution instead of the common PC resolutions;
> 2560x1440, 1920x1200, 1680x1050, etc.
> - Design (matter of taste, but within the group of TVs/monitors fulfilling
> the requirements above, the design of the white Samsung LED seemed way
> ahead of the monitors ;))
>
> Best regards
> Kenni

Thanks to those who've responded so far.  Great info to help me make my
choice... or confuse the issue even more :) (Just kidding, all comments
welcome.)

Just want to add a couple of points based on the responses:

1. 26/27" is about the max I can go without a some significant rearranging
of things, which I'm not really up for.  I would consider going down to
maybe 24" if something in that size knocked my socks off, but I don't think
I would go any lower than that.

2. I have considered trying to repair my current TV myself, but I figure if
I take it apart I'm taking the risk of making matters even worse.  If I
were to get it "professionally" repaired I have to figure it would cost me
at least $80-100 just to have someone look at it.  I'd rather sink that
money into something new.  Plus, it's a good excuse for an upgrade :)

3.  Regarding the remote and sleep function, I know this is drifting
further away from the MythTV topic, but as I mentioned in my OP I also have
the TV connected to a cable box.  I usually go to bed with the "regular" /
cable box on and set the sleep timer.

4. Good point on the speakers.  All the monitors I've considered so far do
have built-in speakers.

5. I'm kind of boycotting Samsung.  I've had several Samsung monitors plus
this TV, and while I generally like the picture quality I've had some QC
issues; a flimsy stand on one monitor, the HDMI connection on the TV.
Plus, there are a couple of other things that have just rubbed me the wrong
way with them.

Thanks again, and definitely interested in more input.
John