[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Jan 31 20:58:24 UTC 2012

2012/1/31 John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com>

> So, now I've started looking around for a possible replacement.  My
> question is
> do I get another LCD TV, or are the LCD monitors that are out there now as
> good
> or better for what I need?

A couple of months ago I also needed a new TV/monitor for my bedroom. In
the end I got a 22" Samsung LED TV, rather than a monitor. There were a
couple of reasons for this in my case:
- Integrated speakers (if you're going for a monitor, make sure it has
speakers - many doesn't)
- VESA mounting interface (to mount and hide the MythTV frontend on the
back of the screen - a Zotac ID41 - many monitors doesn't have a VESA
mounting interface)
- Possibility of configuring the vertical viewing angle. If you're watching
the TV/monitor from a low angle, the picture will often be black in some
areas. On the Samsung TV I got, it was possible to adjust the picture
according to the vertical viewing angle.
- Native 1920x1080 resolution instead of the common PC resolutions;
2560x1440, 1920x1200, 1680x1050, etc.
- Design (matter of taste, but within the group of TVs/monitors fulfilling
the requirements above, the design of the white Samsung LED seemed way
ahead of the monitors ;))

Best regards
Kenni