[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:17:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 21:49, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. I have considered trying to repair my current TV myself, but I figure
> if
> > I take it apart I'm taking the risk of making matters even worse.
>
> I would consider attempting the repair after you have your
> replacement (so that at worse you toss it, at best you
> now have a backup).  If you really want to invest some
> time/effort, you can (usually) get the service manual
> by going to www.samsungparts.com and entering your
> tv model number.
>
> These days, you often have to replace the entire circuit
> board, which costs around $150-200 (with a $50 credit
> if you return the bad board).  So your estimate of a
> $200 repair bill is probably a bit low....

Yeah, my line of thinking is get the replacement then *think about*
attempting the repair.  It still has composite, 2x component, d-sub,
s-video, and cable inputs in good working order.  So plenty of life left;
I'm sure I can find a use for it elsewhere, either in my house or give it
to a family member.  I wouldn't want to risk doing anything to make it
worse and really wouldn't put very much money into repairing it.