[mythtv-users] Feature request page on wiki

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jan 23 03:36:19 UTC 2012

On 1/22/2012 19:50, Pieter De Wit wrote:
> Please don't take this in the wrong light, but who, from the dev team,
> looks at the "Feature Request" page on the wiki ?

You can always check the wiki edit history.  The simple fact is that
MythTV is written by unpaid volunteers, and unpaid volunteers are only
going to work on things that they have a personal use for, or otherwise
interest them.  Most have their own local TODO lists they want to get
done anyway.  Too many people thinking up ideas, and not enough actually
doing them, plus the complaint I've voiced in the past about a big long
list in a wiki not being easy to sift through.

> I have posted some things on there with no feedback and was just wondering
> how I can open the channels of commnications on these ? In my mind, "no"
> is also feedback :)

No feedback should be considered a "good" thing.  I make it a point to
at least read through every new entry.  Possible feedback would be...
1. Feature, or similar feature, is implemented in some manner.
2. Feature is already planned or in development.
3. Feature could be easily implemented through some mechanism.
4. Feature is not likely to be feasible due to some reason, or runs too
far counter to MythTV's designed goals.

Reasons for outright deletion would be...
1. Duplicate feature request.
2. Request is utterly ridiculous. (abandon ffmpeg for gstreamer. abandon
everything for a wrapper around VLC. add support for EPOC headset.)
3. Request is against our rules. (sharing content with remote backends
or sharing networks)

Getting no feedback would mean it passes basic sanity tests, and is
sufficiently novel that at least I don't know of any existing similar
behavior.