[mythtv-users] Feature request page on wiki

Pieter De Wit pieter at insync.za.net
Mon Jan 23 07:42:35 UTC 2012

On 23/01/2012 16:36, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/22/2012 19:50, Pieter De Wit wrote:
>> Please don't take this in the wrong light, but who, from the dev team,
>> looks at the "Feature Request" page on the wiki ?
> You can always check the wiki edit history.  The simple fact is that
> MythTV is written by unpaid volunteers, and unpaid volunteers are only
> going to work on things that they have a personal use for, or otherwise
> interest them.  Most have their own local TODO lists they want to get
> done anyway.  Too many people thinking up ideas, and not enough actually
> doing them, plus the complaint I've voiced in the past about a big long
> list in a wiki not being easy to sift through.
Ok - so how about relaxing the rules around feature requests on the bug
tracker ? Easier to manage ? I personally agree with you, imaging me
trying to help.....no idea where to start. Perhaps the wiki can be used
as a brain dump for the ideas in the bug tracker ?
>> I have posted some things on there with no feedback and was just wondering
>> how I can open the channels of commnications on these ? In my mind, "no"
>> is also feedback :)
> No feedback should be considered a "good" thing.  I make it a point to
> at least read through every new entry.  Possible feedback would be...
> 1. Feature, or similar feature, is implemented in some manner.
> 2. Feature is already planned or in development.
> 3. Feature could be easily implemented through some mechanism.
> 4. Feature is not likely to be feasible due to some reason, or runs too
> far counter to MythTV's designed goals.
I meant as "no we won't implement", but point taken :)
> Reasons for outright deletion would be...
> 1. Duplicate feature request.
> 2. Request is utterly ridiculous. (abandon ffmpeg for gstreamer. abandon
> everything for a wrapper around VLC. add support for EPOC headset.)
> 3. Request is against our rules. (sharing content with remote backends
> or sharing networks)
>
> Getting no feedback would mean it passes basic sanity tests, and is
> sufficiently novel that at least I don't know of any existing similar
> behavior.

All three my suggestions (and willing to take on others) are open to
code pointers. I suspect it will take me some time to get there, but I
can try :)