[mythtv-users] how long are the development cycles?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 04:09:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:

> hi,
> I see the code changes are still being made to MythTV (0.25) but I'm
> asking why is there
> such a long development cycle?

Because it's not ready.  There have been many long term projects which have
not been completed, or which have taken a longer duration to finish.  There
has been no general agreement that we are ready for a release, and some
compelling reasons and "must haves" on the part of the developers which
have remained, and still remain, outstanding.  We would rather release
something we're comfortable with than something rushed out to meet an
arbitrary schedule.

> am I wrong in thinking there was some suggestion about a year or two ago
> to reduce these
> to something like twice a year or so?

There was a general desire to release a few times a year, when feasible.
 That has not been feasible with the current development version due to the
many long term projects.

> Now I don't want to start a flame ware but it seems to me a year is a very
> long time
> between releases given the amount of changes being made.

A year is not unreasonable at all in my opinion, given the progress made.

> Is there some target or time frame that people are working too, or is it
> wait and see ?

Wait and see.  Maybe sometime in the first half of 2012.

> and no I don't really understand its finished when its finished mentality

It's ok not to understand it, but it's still the case.  See first paragraph
above-- given the choice between working longer or releasing a disaster,
we'll work longer.

> I don't want to make this a totally negative post but I hope more frequent
> releases would
> show people that this project is alive and active, right?

This is not on the list of project aims.  Releasing just to prove we're
still out here is not a good reason to release.  The project is alive and
very active, there's no need to prove anything.

> So I'm really looking forward to the Web based setup and also the new
> MythVideo
> integration particularly the helper app to repopulate the videos in
> background. Although
> I'm not sure if will integrate the videos into the Watch Recordings screen?

No, it does not.  Web based backend setup will not be complete for .25.

Robert