[mythtv-users] Reliable channel changes on Dish network VIP 211k

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Feb 21 20:58:16 UTC 2012

On 2/21/2012 3:39 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to get my Dish network vip 211k receivers working
> well under mythtv for a while and I have not been very successful.
>
> I have two receivers connected using HDPVRs.  For the lirc blaster, I am
> using the commandir III.  Each receiver is programmed to a different
> remote code (1 and 3).
>
> I am using the channel change script and lircd.conf file from
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration
>

> The problem is that roughly 1 out of every 5 channel changes doesn't
> select the right channel.  Either the channel doesn't change or it goes
> to the wrong channel
>
> I have tried changing the sleep time value, adding various sleeps, etc
> with almost not impact to whether I get the right channels.
>
> I am really not sure what else to try so I am hoping someone out there
> has some suggestions of things to try.  I am more than happy to provide
> any logs or other data to help resolve the issue.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Michael

One thing to note with Dish is that the Dish guide can be toggled
between HD Only, Subscribed Channels and All Channels. You need
to set it on Subscribed channels and then hide the remote.
I learned the hard way that if it is set to HD Only and Myth
tries to tune a non-HD channel it goes the the nearest HD channel
and Myth happily records the wrong channel.