[mythtv-users] Reliable channel changes on Dish network VIP 211k

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Feb 21 21:08:45 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 01:58 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 3:39 PM, Michael wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been trying to get my Dish network vip 211k receivers working
>> well under mythtv for a while and I have not been very successful.
>>
>> I have two receivers connected using HDPVRs.  For the lirc blaster, I am
>> using the commandir III.  Each receiver is programmed to a different
>> remote code (1 and 3).
>>
>> I am using the channel change script and lircd.conf file from
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration
>>

>> The problem is that roughly 1 out of every 5 channel changes doesn't
>> select the right channel.  Either the channel doesn't change or it goes
>> to the wrong channel
>>
>> I have tried changing the sleep time value, adding various sleeps, etc
>> with almost not impact to whether I get the right channels.
>>
>> I am really not sure what else to try so I am hoping someone out there
>> has some suggestions of things to try.  I am more than happy to provide
>> any logs or other data to help resolve the issue.
>>
>> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>>
>> Michael
>>
> One thing to note with Dish is that the Dish guide can be toggled
> between HD Only, Subscribed Channels and All Channels. You need
> to set it on Subscribed channels and then hide the remote.
> I learned the hard way that if it is set to HD Only and Myth
> tries to tune a non-HD channel it goes the the nearest HD channel
> and Myth happily records the wrong channel.

Thanks for the input.  I don't think this is my issue at least.  My
receivers are actually in a closet and the remotes don't even have
batteries in them.

if a channel change is missed when testing with livetv, I can just go to
the same channel again until it works.  It usually works the second or
third time.

Michael