[mythtv-users] Problem with 0.25-fixes and Hauppauge WinTV USB2 tuner

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Fri Apr 13 16:33:17 UTC 2012

I am currently running 0.21, which does what I need; however, it keeps me locked
into an old openSUSE release that no longer gets security updates. For that
reason, I have set up a test partition that runs openSUSE 12.1 and a new kernel
(3.3.0).

As I am new at building Mythtv from source, it took a while to get the proper
packages installed, but now everything is building correctly. I used git to pull
the full source, and branched to 0.25/fixes. Upgrading my mysql database took a
long time, but that looks OK.

I have a PVR-500 - both tuners are fine - and the Win TV USB2 device mentioned
in the subject, which is not recognized in the "Capture Cards" section of
mythtv-setup. When I try to attach the device, it is not found, and the device
file remains at /dev/vbi0, rather than /dev/video2 - the correct location for it.

The device and driver are OK. I use the same kernel and firmware in the 0.21
setup, where it is fine. In addition, it works with Tvtime.

I have not tested this tuner with any intermediate versions between 0.21 and
0.25-fixes, thus I cannot pinpoint where the regression happened. The latest
info I have found on the Web is for 0.21.

I am sure that there are not many of these devices left in the wild, but I would
like to get it working.

Are there any specific suggestions on how to debug this issue?

Thanks,

Larry