[mythtv-users] Weird HDMI problem

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Apr 5 10:13:52 UTC 2012

On 05/04/12 09:48, phipps-hutton at sky.com wrote:

> Quoting Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com>:
>> The former LG TV must had been doing some HDMI wake up or something when
>> switching from TV to HDMI input. Or kept all outputs under power/active in
>> all times where is with today's power saving TV's this is not the case. I
>> guess it's just a bad combination of ATI driver and TV, the driver fails
>> waking up the HDMI and the TV not helping about this at all.
>
> It's a defective TV and it's not power saving that is causing it. The EDID
> circuitry should be powered by the device connecting to the TV so that it works
> when the TV is off. There are power wires in VGA, DVI and HDMI specifically for
> this. The circuitry is very simple, basically just a tiny EPROM. I would guess
> that the TV manufacturer has decided to cut costs by only having one and
> connecting it up to the active input rather than have one per input or doing
> something smarter. FYI my Sony Bravia does the right thing on HDMI and VGA inputs.

...which might imply that one solution could be to try with your mythtv
connected to each HDMI input in turn. I have a Hitachi TV with two HDMI inputs
and they are definitely different in operation depending on what's connected
where. In my case, HDMI2 is the only one with an "exact-PC" scale option.

--

Mike Perkins