[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 PCI-express cards

Andy Burns mythtv.lists at burns.me.uk
Wed Sep 28 08:04:44 UTC 2011

On 19 September 2011 13:20, James Courtier-Dutton
<james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> PCI(e) passthru is a minefield, or at least it was rather problematic
> a year ago.
> The issue is the physical address, register mapping for DMA transfers.

I have 2x PCI DVB-T1 cards in a Xen domU backend working for a few
years with minor glitches on rather old kernels, the key for me was
re-aligning the PCI BARS so they'e on page boundaries and getting the
soft IOMMU configured.

I'm just updating from Centos5 to Fedora16 and problems seem fewer and
further between, lots of things I had to patch for myself have made it
into newer Xen/Kernel versions :-)

I did also have the PCIe TBS6981 card in a Fedora15 domU, but it sort
of worked but had throughput issues, so I moved it to my frontend
HTPC, worked OK there (ignoring proprietary issues and LIRC) I then
moved it back to my updated Xen backend, it was working with dvb-scan
but I hadn't tried it from myth, that was the point at which it
apparently died overnight before I could do more with it ...