[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 PCI-express cards

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:16:49 UTC 2011

On 28 September 2011 12:26, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In addition to the great feedback I have seen so far, I can only find
> one manufacturer that explicitly states in their datasheet the
> sensitivity of the tuner.
> The problem with some sat setups, is that the cable form the dish to
> the receiver might be long.
> The longer the cable gets, the more attenuation it gets. There is also
> more attenuation during weather storms.
> So, more sensitive tuners will work with longer cables and better in
> bad weather.
> I could only find the specification on TBS DVB cards.
> For example, the TBS 6980/6981,6920 has  "Input level: -65~-25dBm ",
> but a newer TBS 6984,6921,6922 has "Input Level: -69~23dBm".
> So, the newer cards might work better with longer cables and bad weather.
>
> i have the 6981, and while i dont watch the TV religiously, i have had it
running since around feb/march this year (im in the UK). i've experienced no
signal issues at all. no blocking, loss of signal etc. its really been
perfect.
that said, i average around 75% signal on mythtv.
my old sky+HD that i got rid of and went mythtv/freesat route, listed around
70-80% signal iirc, as a comparison (it was 9months ago!)

i think the sensitivity will only be a problem if your dish is stuck behind
scenery where wet weather can interfer more than normal.
since i have very clear LoS between my dish and the sky sensitivity isnt a
huge concern for me.