[mythtv-users] OT? Shuttle + ProRAID or Obsidian case for i3/i5 Myth BE ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Sep 21 19:47:07 UTC 2011

On 9/21/2011 14:14, linux guy wrote:
> I want the BE to have a RAID array, so nothing ever gets lost.  I'd
> like to run RAID 5 with 4 drives and 6 to 10 GB of usable storage.

Four drive hardware RAID5 is a waste.  Either you get a cheap card that
runs off the CPU, in which case you're better off with Linux software
RAID, or you get one with proper offloading, in which case you've spent
a lot of money that would have been better spent on RAID1 and more
drives.  RAID5 has a lot of deficiencies with respect to writing data,
and it's not worth the efficiency benefits until you have a lot more
than four drives, at which point you would be better with RAID6, or
something else that allows more than a single drive failure.

> The Shuttle is small and easily moved.   The external Proraid is hot
> plug and the two would fit really nicely on my rack shelves.

Are you talking about shelving units to put in a computer rack, or just
wireframe storage shelves in your basement?