[mythtv-users] OT? Shuttle + ProRAID or Obsidian case for i3/i5 Myth BE ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:09:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 9/21/2011 14:14, linux guy wrote:
> > I want the BE to have a RAID array, so nothing ever gets lost.  I'd
> > like to run RAID 5 with 4 drives and 6 to 10 GB of usable storage.
>
> Four drive hardware RAID5 is a waste.  Either you get a cheap card that
> runs off the CPU, in which case you're better off with Linux software
> RAID, or you get one with proper offloading, in which case you've spent
> a lot of money that would have been better spent on RAID1 and more
> drives.

Its very interesting that you bring this up.

Doesn't the ProRaid enclosure handle the RAID aspect entirely in hardware ?
I understand that it will run from USB3.0 or SINGLE CHANNEL eSATA and thus I
assume the drive(s) in it look like one big storage volume, when in fact
they are a RAIDed storage device.  That was one of the appeals of it to me.

Some of the other 4 bay RAID enclosures require either 4 SATA connections or
a multiple channel SATA card/cable.  The ProRAID doesn't.

This is the MB I was intent on using.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67M_PROCSM/

It has

*Intel® H67(B3) Express Chipset*
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

The RAID options are set in BIOS.

That would be a totally hardware based RAID, right ?

RAID5 has a lot of deficiencies with respect to writing data,
> and it's not worth the efficiency benefits until you have a lot more
> than four drives, at which point you would be better with RAID6, or
> something else that allows more than a single drive failure.

I'm not sure what to say.  I haven't had a HD fail in the last 10 years.
I'm not sure why I would need a RAID setup that would tolerate multiple
drive failures.

What would the multiple drive failure tolerant RAID be ?  RAID 1 ?

> > The Shuttle is small and easily moved.   The external Proraid is hot
> > plug and the two would fit really nicely on my rack shelves.
>
> Are you talking about shelving units to put in a computer rack, or just
> wireframe storage shelves in your basement?

Wireframe storage shelves.  That is where my satellite receivers, HD PVR
boxes, networking devices, nas server , asterisk server and hardware and
zoneminder server are located.

I'll probably use the same hardware for the zoneminder server as the myth
server.