[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: XC5000 problem

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Sep 20 13:18:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Harry Orenstein <holists at optonline.net> wrote:
> I am having a problem with getting my HVR-950Q to tune.  The problem
> seems to be solved if I unload the modules au0828, au8522 and xc5000 and
> then load xc5000 first.  When au0828 loads on boot up it seems to
> automagically load the two others but xc5000 apparently gets loaded
> last, which is a problem.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I
> could put in a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d that would force xc5000 to
> load before au0828 gets a chance to load it.  I seem to remember that
> there was something like this early on for lirc, but cannot find an
> example.
>
> In case anyone is interested in the specifics of the problem my dmesg
> output indicates "xc5000: Device not found at addr 0x61 (0xffff)" when
> xc5000 loads last and "xc5000: Successfully identified at address 0x61"
> when loaded before au0828.  I am running Fedora 15 kernel 2.6.40.4-5
> 64-bit.  I'm guessing that this is really a regression problem since I
> seem to remember not having this problem prior to a few kernel upgrades
> ago (I think the distributed kernel started at 2.6.38).  If anyone is
> using a card with an xc5000 tuner successfully with Fedora 15 and has
> another suggestion for a work-around or suggestions about what I might
> be doing wrong that would be a big help too!
>
> Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

Hi Harry,

I had a user show this to me on an Ubuntu box a couple of weeks ago.
I haven't had a chance though to dig into it to track down the issue
further.  Any quantitative feedback you can provide regarding the
circumstances under which the problem occurs is welcome.

Does it happen 100% of the time at boot?  Are you sure it is a module
load order issue?  In the user I talked to, it went away just by
unplugging/replugging (no need to reload modules), but admittedly
reloading modules is probably easier to do from a terminal prompt if
you're not in physical proximity of the hardware.

Regards,

Devin Heitmueller
(the HVR-950q driver guy)

--