[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: XC5000 problem

Harry Orenstein holists at optonline.net
Tue Sep 20 03:38:59 UTC 2011

I am having a problem with getting my HVR-950Q to tune.  The problem
seems to be solved if I unload the modules au0828, au8522 and xc5000 and
then load xc5000 first.  When au0828 loads on boot up it seems to
automagically load the two others but xc5000 apparently gets loaded
last, which is a problem.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I
could put in a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d that would force xc5000 to
load before au0828 gets a chance to load it.  I seem to remember that
there was something like this early on for lirc, but cannot find an
example.

In case anyone is interested in the specifics of the problem my dmesg
output indicates "xc5000: Device not found at addr 0x61 (0xffff)" when
xc5000 loads last and "xc5000: Successfully identified at address 0x61"
when loaded before au0828.  I am running Fedora 15 kernel 2.6.40.4-5
64-bit.  I'm guessing that this is really a regression problem since I
seem to remember not having this problem prior to a few kernel upgrades
ago (I think the distributed kernel started at 2.6.38).  If anyone is
using a card with an xc5000 tuner successfully with Fedora 15 and has
another suggestion for a work-around or suggestions about what I might
be doing wrong that would be a big help too!

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

-- Harry O.