[mythtv-users] 3 Mux but recording schedule indicating using 4 tuners?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 18 21:00:33 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 07:34 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 18/09/11 00:05, Nick Rout wrote:
>> Can I add an extra twist to this and ask some advice?
>>
>> I currently have two dvb-s cards set up and each is set to record up
>> to four streams (ie physical + 3 virtual). Both are connected to the
>> same video source.
>>
>> I now want to add two dvb-T tuners (HDHR actually). The will do
>> multirec too. The dvb-t has the same programming lineup as dvb-s, but
>> the kicker is that dvb-t is in HD whereas dvb-s is only SD.
>>
>> What is the best way to set this up so that recordings prefer the
>> DVB-T tuners as much as possible.

Delete all capture cards, then create the capture cards in the reverse
order you want them used for Live TV and re-connect inputs in the order
you want them used for recordings.  Note that the 2 can be different
orders...

Note that you only have to delete all capture cards--not video
sources--so you won't lose any channels or listings or anything.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

>>   I assume I use the same video source
>> for all tuners (it's an xmltv downloader).
>>
>> Should I delete all capture cards and start with the DVB-T cards so
>> that they get greatest priority?
>>
>> Also I don't watch livetv, but the kids sometimes do. How should I
>> ensure recordings prioritise the DVB-T tuners but live prioritises the
>> -S tuners?
>>
> I don't think you can use the same source.

Exactly.

>   Even though you claim to get the same
> channels as DVB-T and DVB-S, I bet that there are channels avialable with one
> that you don't get with the other, and vice versa (even if you don't want them).

But even if they were identical, you still can't use the same source.  A
MythTV Video Source is *not* a listings source.  It is a unique list of
channels /and/ their tuning information.  Since you can't tune DVB-T the
same way as DVB-S (unless you have set-top boxes for both and they use
the same channel identifiers), you need 2 different video sources.

> Also, It is entirely likely that the channel numbering is different between the
> two reception methods.
>
> Remember, the information in the *source* tables is what myth uses to tune the
> capture cards, so you'll need different information for each transmission method
> (frequency, modulation, etc.). There may be no reason why you couldn't use the
> same xmltv data, though, assuming you can *guarantee* that the same programming
> occurs both routes. You'll have to either copy the .xmltv file and rename it or
> make a link.

Correct.

Mike