[mythtv-users] Web based 'cutpoint' editing

Robert Logan bert at p3rf3ct.com
Sun Sep 18 10:50:15 UTC 2011

On 16/09/2011 16:05, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> Sorry for not replying to the original post, I've just subscribed to the
> list.
>
> I've written a web based solution too - maybe it's time to bundle resources.
>
> See http://myth.weilguni.priv.at/mythcut.tar.gz
>
> Does not require a preparation, and it's quite fast.
>
> Require apache, php, mplayer, mythtv (of course), and must run on the
> backend (needs to access  the mpg files).
>
> Disclaimer:
> It's working, but not feature complete, and might have bugs/security
> problems/not run on every machine (it's a toy project that never was
> meant for publishing)  - but you might give it a try. And please ignore
> HTML/CSS, I'm a programmer, not web designer.  Some text in the
> application is still german, sorry.
>
> Simply untar in a web-reachable directory of your choice. Don't forget
> to password protect it.

Typical, but nice to see that we both wanted to do the same thing, and
therefore there should be a desire to get this inside myth at some
point. Not being a php coder, I cannot tell exactly how it works, but
looking at thumbnail generation, its similar to my 1st attempt. Your php
solution should be easier to integrate to be honest.

As a project, mine looks much more toy like though, and like you I'm not
a designer

The problem I had with that is the time it took to move around a large
file, say a movie (4GB) leads to a lot of disk IO, and some considerable
'waits'- although I was using ffmpeg rather that mplayer as my tool -
perhaps its better in that respect.

On my second iteration, I simply made a low resolution copy of the file
(the 'prepare' part - 4GB becomes about 160M) that is then feasibly
cacheable by the OS, and becomes usable thereafter. On my third
iteration I added a pregeneration of thumbnails ... faster again by far.

I will push on though, and make it more feature complete (its not going
to be much more), although my now 'amazing Ajax skills' mean I can do
things that make it a decent application.