[mythtv-users] 3 Mux but recording schedule indicating using 4 tuners?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 23:05:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/2011 22:50, tortise wrote:
>> We have 3 Mux here with all channels here in NZ. With the Rugby World
>> Cup on the tuners are getting quite some use, as the competing channels
>> are putting on some good stuff to look to head off the competition(!).
>>
>> The interesting thing is tonight's recording schedule is specifying
>> using all 4 tuners.  My expectation was that there would never be the
>> need for the 4th for recording channels, however for some reason the
>> fourth is now planned to be used, as seen in mythweb, recording
>> schedules.  Would, could or should that be correct?
>
> MythTV blindly uses recorders in the order they are defined.  Virtual
> tuners are treated just the same as physical tuners, so they similarly
> need to be defined in the proper order.  In order for MythTV to behave
> correctly with respect to tuners, define your first tuner, and add all
> the virtual tuners you intend to use.  Define your second tuner, and add
> all the virtual tuners you intend to use, and so on.  When you're done,
> stop, and do nothing else.
>
> MythTV will run through all those virtual tuners sequentially.  If the
> virtual tuner can tune that channel, it will use it.  If not, it will
> try the next, until it finds one that is useable.  Unless you run out of
> virtual tuners on one physical tuner, it should only need one per mux.
> Note that if you use any amount of padding, MythTV will need two virtual
> tuners to record back-to-back shows.

Can I add an extra twist to this and ask some advice?

I currently have two dvb-s cards set up and each is set to record up
to four streams (ie physical + 3 virtual). Both are connected to the
same video source.

I now want to add two dvb-T tuners (HDHR actually). The will do
multirec too. The dvb-t has the same programming lineup as dvb-s, but
the kicker is that dvb-t is in HD whereas dvb-s is only SD.

What is the best way to set this up so that recordings prefer the
DVB-T tuners as much as possible. I assume I use the same video source
for all tuners (it's an xmltv downloader).

Should I delete all capture cards and start with the DVB-T cards so
that they get greatest priority?

Also I don't watch livetv, but the kids sometimes do. How should I
ensure recordings prioritise the DVB-T tuners but live prioritises the
-S tuners?

Any other tips?