[mythtv-users] Picking up DVB-T2 HD channels with TBS6280 capture card

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 15:30:23 UTC 2011

James Stocks wrote:

>I'm on the fence between being very pleased that TBS have bothered
>to consider Linux, yet being a little annoyed that I've paid for
>claimed Linux support that evidently isn't complete yet.

I know what you mean. For me, "supported" means that it either works
with a stock kernel (preferred), requires installing the "non-free"
firmware package (still OK), or at a pinch has a completely automated
process that builds a binary blob that works with a stub already in
the kernel. This card is a long way from that, so for me I'll wait ...

But, on the other hand, it would be easy to be too negative and leave
vendors feeling that it's too much hassle and just not bother in
future.

I'm not a developer and I've no idea how hard (or otherwise) it is to
do, but my feeling is that the free software community needs to make
it easier than it appears to be at the moment to bridge the gap. One
of the constant complaints is about lack of support for the latest
hardware, but I can completely understand the reasons some vendors
may have for not wanting (or be able) to do a completely open driver.
I don't think either side wins if dogma gets in the way of supporting
new hardware.

Applying a pragmatists hat, closed software (or closed drivers for
hardware) isn't going to go way any time soon. We (collectively) need
to figure out how to accommodate it for those that need it, without
compromising those who (for valid reasons IMO) aren't prepared to be
tainted by it.

--
Simon Hobson