[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Sep 15 00:33:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Comcast terminology, you want to request
> that they check the provisioning of the CableCard-- have them check a
> specific channel which is not clearQAM and not showing subscribed (I
> suggest virtual channel 122 from above). Then request a "DAC Init"
> and/or a "Grand Slam Init" which should force any necessary firmware
> upgrades, do pairing, etc.

I just got off the phone with them.  The person I was speaking to
wouldn't send the Grand Slam Init signal.  He said it was too powerful
and could actually blow the whole box (his words).  He tried several
"softer" init signals, but nothing had any effect and instead insisted
that the best way to resolve this would be to send a technician to my
house to configure the card.  I have the appointment on Monday.

I suggested swapping the card for another one and he said I could try
that but that I should keep the appointment as a safety.

I have a feeling that had I ended up with a less timid engineer on the
line it might be working now.

Eric