[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:52:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

>  vch=122 name=COOKING CHANNEL auth=unknown cci=none cgms=none
>
> or this:
>
>  vch=126 name=CARTOON NETWORK auth=subscribed cci=protected-copyonce cgms=n/a
>
> neither of which can be tuned.  Unencrypted channels show like:
>
>  vch=272 name=WPPX-HD auth=unknown cci=none cgms=unrestricted
>
> and these I can record and watch just fine.
>
> Something clearly isn't right, but I haven't yet had the time to call back.

The above suggests a provisioning problem.  The number on the Comcast
self-install booklet (the 877-405-xxxx one) is the national cablecard
activation line, and is the one you want to call since it gets you
right to a human being.  In Comcast terminology, you want to request
that they check the provisioning of the CableCard-- have them check a
specific channel which is not clearQAM and not showing subscribed (I
suggest virtual channel 122 from above). Then request a "DAC Init"
and/or a "Grand Slam Init" which should force any necessary firmware
upgrades, do pairing, etc.

In my own initial setup, I had many channels showing auth unknown (you
want auth to be "subscribed" and cci to be "unrestricted") until I got
the correct Init (a DAC Init).  On an install for a consulting gig
yesterday, I had local headend engineers tearing their hair out
because all channels showed protected-copyonce on the CableCard but
not at the headend.  When we finally used the nuclear option of the
"Grand Slam Init," all the channel subscription and CCI info fixed
itself.

Robert