[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 14 13:35:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was unable to get a detailed list of steps from the engineer.  He
> did say that he knows what went wrong and has put in a request for a
> fix.  Unfortunately, it may only affect my local Comcast.  He admitted
> that they have no formal procedure for adding a CableCard or to
> resolve problems.  They are figuring it out as we speak.  Yikes!  On a
> good note, they do have a dedicated group of CableCard engineers.

I finally got my HDHR Prime yesterday.  Comcast may be getting things
figured out.  I went to my local office and they had the cable card
self install kits readily available, which included the card and a
little booklet of instructions and a much larger booklet with the
official privacy notification.

I called the number they gave me and spoke to an engineer who answered
the phone on the first ring and he took my info and put me on hold.
Eventually another engineer picked up and asked how he could help me.
Apparently I'd been transferred without any useful information given
to the new engineer.  I gave my info again and shortly after that the
card showed "Card Activation: Success" on the HDHR Prime status web
page.

Unfortunately, I still haven't successfully tuned any encrypted
channels.  I have the channel list, but if I get the status on any
encrypted channel I get either something like:

  vch=122 name=COOKING CHANNEL auth=unknown cci=none cgms=none

or this:

  vch=126 name=CARTOON NETWORK auth=subscribed cci=protected-copyonce cgms=n/a

neither of which can be tuned.  Unencrypted channels show like:

  vch=272 name=WPPX-HD auth=unknown cci=none cgms=unrestricted

and these I can record and watch just fine.

Something clearly isn't right, but I haven't yet had the time to call back.

> My high-up contact at Comcast fixed ALL the channels that were
> incorrectly marked copy-once.

Do you have any non-premium channels still marked as copyonce?  I seem
to have quite a few.

Eric