[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 9 13:55:29 UTC 2011

On 11-09-09 08:50 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Or it's operating as intended,

Intended to leave tuners idle which could be used to resolve conflicts?
 That doesn't sound like good design.

> giving you the feedback necessary to make the
> informed decision (conflict resolution) that it couldn't make due to
> limitations of the design.

But I don't have the ability to resolve a conflict by assigning it to an
idle tuner.  And I shouldn't, so I don't disagree with that decision.
That the scheduler doesn't do that, is IMHO, a bug.

> Complaints like yours come up repeated from time
> to time.  Ultimately the scheduler has been designed to make certain
> decisions after which it relies on human intervention to resolve certain
> cases such as this 3 way "tie".

But to not even fall back to using another available tuner?  Is that
really within the design consideration?

> What I would suggest is playing around with
> priorities despite your desire not to.

Why should I need to?  There are IDLE TUNERS!

> Giving one of those programs a +1
> priority may resolve your problem entirely without any negative side
> effects.

Until next time when the +1 yields a different, non-desirable schedule.

b.