[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:50:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:
>
>>   Even with the override and the
>> schedule 98% good, I am still left with a conflict while there are idle
>> tuners still available.
>>

> In my humble opinion as an end user, any time there are conflicts and idle
> tuners which could resolve those conflicts, there is a "bug" in the
> scheduler.  It might be the finite state machine (?) that the scheduler uses
> has a problem or it might be the devs decided the scheduler was "good
> enough" and it would be very difficult to make it  better.

Or it's operating as intended, giving you the feedback necessary to make the
informed decision (conflict resolution) that it couldn't make due to
limitations of the design.  Complaints like yours come up repeated from time
to time.  Ultimately the scheduler has been designed to make certain
decisions after which it relies on human intervention to resolve certain
cases such as this 3 way "tie".  What I would suggest is playing around with
priorities despite your desire not to.  Giving one of those programs a +1
priority may resolve your problem entirely without any negative side
effects.

Kevin