[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:08:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 11-09-09 08:50 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >
> > Or it's operating as intended,
>
> Intended to leave tuners idle which could be used to resolve conflicts?
>  That doesn't sound like good design.
>
> > giving you the feedback necessary to make the
> > informed decision (conflict resolution) that it couldn't make due to
> > limitations of the design.
>
> But I don't have the ability to resolve a conflict by assigning it to an
> idle tuner.  And I shouldn't, so I don't disagree with that decision.
> That the scheduler doesn't do that, is IMHO, a bug.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  You said yourself you resolved
the conflict using the Upcoming Recording screens to tell the scheduler to
record X on a particular tuner (essentially adding priority to it)

> > Complaints like yours come up repeated from time
> > to time.  Ultimately the scheduler has been designed to make certain
> > decisions after which it relies on human intervention to resolve certain
> > cases such as this 3 way "tie".
>
> But to not even fall back to using another available tuner?  Is that
> really within the design consideration?
>
> > What I would suggest is playing around with
> > priorities despite your desire not to.
>
> Why should I need to?  There are IDLE TUNERS!

Again, from your perspective.  From the scheduler's perspective, it is done.
 It did the programmed number of passes, did the best it could do with the
information given and the constraints on it and finished.  It does not
endlessly try to resolve conflicts probably because in other situations that
would result in dramatically increased scheduling time bringing negative
side effects to the system operation.

> > Giving one of those programs a +1
> > priority may resolve your problem entirely without any negative side
> > effects.
>
> Until next time when the +1 yields a different, non-desirable schedule.

I sincerely doubt in your situation with the number of available tuners you
appear have that a simple +1 preference on one program of the three that are
typically recorded at the same time would have any problem.  I would suggest
that you try it since you are looking for solutions and see what it really
does instead of dismissing it.  It is a tool provided to address this
situation of multiple equal priority programs.

Kevin