[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR250 remote

Rick rick at laity.ca
Wed Oct 5 14:29:24 UTC 2011

On 10/5/2011 10:47 AM, James MacKenzie wrote:
> Anyone??  Anyone??  Bueller??  Bueller??
> At Mon,  3 Oct 2011 21:18:14 -0400 (EDT), you wrote
>> I had MythTV installed under different versions of Slackware over the years
>> and had problems on and off with the remote using the lirc_i2c module.  It
>> happened again and no matter what I did I couldn't get it working again.  So,
>> I decided to grab the latest Fedora and install that, to see if I could get
>> everything working again.
>> (I had tried, in vain to get the ir-kbd-i2c module working with the remote
>> under Slackware since I read that the lirc_i2c module was being phased out.)
>> So this past Saturday, I backed up all my slackware files and installed
>> Fedora.  Overall I found the process pretty simple.  As of now, I've got
>> everything back to the way it was except for two things:  No remote...and
>> mythfilldatabase is giving me headaches, too...but for right now, I just want
>> my remote back.
>> I'm running the latest available kernel for Fedora 15, 2.6.40-4.  I have the
>> old gray front/black back remote that does not have separate menu direction
>> buttons (the chan+/chan-/vol+/vol- double as the direction buttons).
>> When I modprobe ir-kbd-i2c, I can tell it is working, because if I press
>> left/right (vol-/vol+), the volume control popup appears on the screen.
>> Reading around, there apparently USED to be a parameter "hauppauge=1" that you
>> could use with the older remote, but this is no longer exists in 2.6.40.
>> So, here are my questions:
>> 1) Does the ir-kbd-i2c module use lircd.conf files at all?  I'm thinking no.
>> 2) Someone said putting debug=1 after the modprobe would print the keys in
>> /var/log/messages as they were pressed.  This isn't happening.  Is there some
>> other value of debug I should be using?
>> 3) Am I required to run lircd to make this work with MythTV?  If so, where's
>> the best configuration file for my remote, and if not, what's the easiest way
>> to configure Myth for the remote?
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>> (The mythfilldatabase issue is that the HD light goes solid and it just sits
>> there after downloading the first days worth from Schedules Direct.  I had
>> been running Myth on the latest 24.1-fixes branch, but what got loaded in
>> Fedora was straight 24.1...I'm thinking this might be the issue due to a
>> database version update?  Could anyone shed some light on this?)
>> Hopefully I've explained my issues clearly enough...any other questions
>> concerning this to help I will gladly provide.
>> Thanks,
>> Jim MacKenzie

Don't know about the remote problem but under F15 mythfilldatabase runs
at a snails pace and usually times out before finishing.  It was taking
40 minutes or longer for me.  I switched to SL61 and now MFD takes 2 to
3 minutes again.  Installing sl61 is a little tougher because of dep
issues etc.  go to the wiki under distribution specific installs and
follow the Fedora guide for the most part but also
and read the part about mythtv.  To remove qt-x11 use rpm -e --nodeps
qt-x11  then yum install qt47 qt47-x11 qt47-webkit qt47-mysql.   yum
install mythtv.  Seems to me there is a problem between perl-XML-SAX
1.04 and 0.96 or something like that.  Install the
perl-XML-SAX......0.96 or whatever it is called and then mythtv should
install fine.  That's how I remember it so if you have troubles I know
there are quite a few using sl61 and you should be able to get an answer.