[mythtv-users] Ceton patch available for trunk

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 22:52:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I assume running the card on a windows machine but tuning through Myth
>> still won't allow for copy controlled channels to be recorded?
>
> Correct. What that would allow you to do would be to run myth and
> another PVR software simultaneously and have them share the recorder.
> It was originally developed for a use who wanted to switch from SageTV
> to myth, but wasn't ready to make the jump cold turkey. However, I
> also found it useful for my development...so I could have a completely
> independent dev system, except for stealing one of the tuners from my
> production system from time to time.
>
> As far as Windows Media Center, you could have the card installed in
> the Windows box and use WMC just to record copy protected channels and
> let myth record everything else. From what I've heard you could then
> strip off the DRM and import into myth. I've read it's possible, but
> no idea if it actually works, nor is that appropriate for this forum.
> The appropriate way would be to watch those recordings on your XBOX360
> or something.
>
> The trick to doing any of this is to make sure tuner usage is
> coordinated between the different systems. For the SageTV user, he
> just statically assigned 1 tuner to myth and left the other 3 with
> SageTV. In my case, I just manually coordinated the sharing between
> systems by looking at the recording schedule and planning my work when
> tuner 4 was free.
>
> For something more permanent, I suppose you could probably rig up some
> system to coordinate schedules. Easiest way I can think of would be to
> take your copy protected channels and assign those to a set of dummy
> tuners (using the demo recorder). Have those tuners use a start/stop
> event script to trigger WMC to start/stop recording (I'm assuming
> there's some way you can script WMC to be started/stopped remotely,
> though maybe not).
>
> Not sure if that idea would pan out. Luckily for me, I have no
> interest in trying since my cable provider doesn't restrict any of the
> channels I subscribe to.

Thanks for the explanation!

My parents have Time Warner so they are stuck with using HDPVR's or
moving to WMC. Right now they have two HDPVR's as I was able to give
them mine after purchasing the Ceton and using your patches (we also
don't pay for "premium channels" with restrictive CC enabled). This
setup works, but with Newegg having the Ceton for $219, my dad
purchased it to use as a 4 tuner QAM tuner (they record a fair amount
over QAM) since the price to convenience (not-external, etc) was at
the right point. I don't know if having both WMC and MythTV is an
option, but if TW ever relaxes their CC policy at least it would be
easy to add a cablecard to their setup.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!