[mythtv-users] Ceton patch available for trunk

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Nov 28 20:23:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume running the card on a windows machine but tuning through Myth
> still won't allow for copy controlled channels to be recorded?

Correct. What that would allow you to do would be to run myth and
another PVR software simultaneously and have them share the recorder.
It was originally developed for a use who wanted to switch from SageTV
to myth, but wasn't ready to make the jump cold turkey. However, I
also found it useful for my development...so I could have a completely
independent dev system, except for stealing one of the tuners from my
production system from time to time.

As far as Windows Media Center, you could have the card installed in
the Windows box and use WMC just to record copy protected channels and
let myth record everything else. From what I've heard you could then
strip off the DRM and import into myth. I've read it's possible, but
no idea if it actually works, nor is that appropriate for this forum.
The appropriate way would be to watch those recordings on your XBOX360
or something.

The trick to doing any of this is to make sure tuner usage is
coordinated between the different systems. For the SageTV user, he
just statically assigned 1 tuner to myth and left the other 3 with
SageTV. In my case, I just manually coordinated the sharing between
systems by looking at the recording schedule and planning my work when
tuner 4 was free.

For something more permanent, I suppose you could probably rig up some
system to coordinate schedules. Easiest way I can think of would be to
take your copy protected channels and assign those to a set of dummy
tuners (using the demo recorder). Have those tuners use a start/stop
event script to trigger WMC to start/stop recording (I'm assuming
there's some way you can script WMC to be started/stopped remotely,
though maybe not).

Not sure if that idea would pan out. Luckily for me, I have no
interest in trying since my cable provider doesn't restrict any of the
channels I subscribe to.

--
Ron Frazier