[mythtv-users] What is inputlirc and how is it used

MacLaren, James M maclaren at tulane.edu
Tue Nov 1 21:04:26 UTC 2011

inputlircd interfaces with lirc by reading from devices.   I use it in
mythtv with this remote.

http://www.omcentre.com.au/hardware/m350-media-centre/wireless-multimedi
a-infrared-ir-remote-controller-deal-extreme-34435/

which presents both as a mouse and keyboard.  lirc can handle linking
two devices together via

lircd --driver=devinput
--device=/dev/input/by-id/usbwww.irfmedia.com_W-01RN_USB_V3.1-event-kbd
--output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid
--listen

lircd --driver=devinput
--device=/dev/input/by-id/usbwww.irfmedia.com_W-01RN_USB_V3.1-event-mous
e --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
--connect=localhost:8765

but this was also easily done using inputlircd before I figured out the
above by

/usr/local/bin/inputlircd -m 0  -g -c
/dev/input/by-id/usb-www.irfmedia.com_W-01RN_USB_V3.1-event-kbd
/dev/input/by-id/usb-www.irfmedia.com_W-01RN_USB_V3.1-event-mouse

And

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput

as the lircd.conf file.

You can see the devices by looking at dmesg uonce the usb receiver is
inserted.  For this devices you need to recompile the kernel module to
access the keys, see

http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-82772.html

HTH

James