[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase running WAY too often...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 1 19:12:53 UTC 2011

On 10/22/2011 08:44 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> Weird thing going on here - mythfilldatabase was running about every
> three to four hours here every day.  I had it set to let schedules
> direct pick the time for the next fill, so I don't know what the deal
> is...
>
> Also, because of that, it always says there is a potential grabber
> problem.
>
> What I decided to do to remedy this is uncheck letting schedules direct
> to pick the next time to update - selected between 2 and 5 on the setup
> for mythfilldatabase to run, and I also run a seperate cron job to
> mythfilldatabase --refresh-today at 5:05pm to make sure I didn't miss
> any schedule changes (as suggested in another thread where my wife was
> mad because they moved X-Factor around and myth didn't pick up on it).

If you're going to ignore Schedules Direct's recommended run time, at
least run it only once.  Run it in your cron job with a --refresh-today
(or, better, just run it in your cron job with a --dd-grab-all, assuming
your backend is sufficiently powerful).

> Does this sound ok?  Any idea why mythfilldatabase ran so often?  When I
> looked at the log, schedules direct didn't even say to run for the day,
> and yet it still ran within a few hours....
>
> I know my crontab is right, by checking the cron log (which only shows
> the correct run at 5:05pm) and the mythfilldatbase.log (which doesn't
> show the cron job, as expected).

I remember users in the past having similar issues.  IIRC, it was due to
mythbackend thinking the mythfilldatabase run had failed (due to an
error code exit status of the process).  On the other hand, though, in
your situation it may well be due to running mythfilldatabase both under
control of mythbackend and outside mythbackend's control.  Pick one and
go with it, and please run mythfilldatabase only once per day.

Mike