[mythtv-users] Request for help: Myth on-demand streaming to android device

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:20:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After searching for a few hours I haven't found any good solutions. I
>> have an idea that may or may not be a good one so I figured I'd put it
>> on the list and see what shook out.
>
> Depending on the device, using the built-in MythTV UPnP server works just
> fine as long as the file is in a format that your flavor of android likes
> and is obviously LAN connected.  Transcoding jobs could be used to ensure a
> compatible format.  You didn't say whether this was Internet streaming or
> LAN only.  I've found that UPnP or even SMB works fine for LAN connected
> Android devices using the built-in video player.  Internet connectivity is a
> whole different set of challenges.
> Kevin

Nope, I'm recording ATSC HD & SD so I have to transcode. I want real
time because I don't want to choose which shows to transcode nor do I
want to transcode ALL the shows.

Currently LAN but internet (with authentication) as well when I can
get it working. I've got rtsp working with VLC Stream & Convert but
just not a good way to choose which show.

Richard