[mythtv-users] Any advantage going to 64 bit?

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Mar 13 01:12:23 UTC 2011

On 03/11/11 14:29, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback.  It looks like migrating to 64 bit, while
> feasible, would be a major PITA (hope I got that acronym right) and I
> would not see any advantage, and potentially disadvantages with things
> such as flash.  If I rebuild this system (hopefully I don't have to)
> or build a new system, I will do it as a 64 bit system, but there is
> no good reason for me to just "upgrade" the kernel to a 64 bit one and
> hope I can upgrade everything else painlessly.

I'm late to the thread, but that would be my advice, as well.  Unless
you need it, and know you need it, 64-bit is generally a wash.  If
you've got gobs (>4G) of DRAM or do other things that need 64-bit, but
can be done more slowly in 32-bit, you're probably already running
64-bit.  At work I'm in silicon CAD, and I absolutely need 64-bit.  At
home I don't.

But at home I run 64-bit anyway, for 2 reasons.  First, because I can,
and I'm a little geeky about my hardware.  Second, and here is the
potentially compelling reason for anyone to go 64-bit whenever you need
to do a new install:

These days the developers generally run 64-bit.

Not universally, but generally they're running 64-bit.  If you run it,
you're closer to their platform.  The stuff is also generally compiled
for 32-bit also, but to some extent that's now a "port."  I prefer to
stay closer to the developers, in that respect.

Dale Pontius