[mythtv-users] My MythTV system is a time machine

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:33:53 UTC 2011

Hi

On Saturday, 5 March 2011, Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:

> At first blush restoring anything from RAID-5 with two volumes removed
> is computationally impossible.  Care to elaborate?

As explained earlier.

One disk died. As I was replacing the disk and it started rebuilding,
a faulty Sata cable made that a 2nd disk got disconnected.

Mdadm immediately turned off all access to the disks. I rebooted after
replacing the sata cable. Obviously it refused to restart the raid as
for a short time, two disks were missing.
I forced re-adding the drive, and continued repairing the RAID.
I lost some data, but nothing major.

There's no way I would have recovered anything with a hardware raid card.

md is amazing.